Blackview User Forum

csewell
Topic Author

BV9500 can't add or edit APNs

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:38 pm

For some reason I can't add or edit APNs on my Blackview 9500.  Everything is locked and grayed out. Right now I'm stuck on 3G because the 4G APN for my provider is missing some MMS settings preventing me from send or receiving MMS pictures or videos.  It also stops me from getting SMS messages that are broadcast to a group. The cell provider has given me the correct settings but I can't enter them because APN changes are locked out. Is this the fault of the provider? I put my SIM card in a different phone also running android 8.1, and the APN settings were unlocked and could be changed. Just not on the BV9500.

blackview_admin

Re: BV9500 can't add or edit APNs

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:29 am

Can you please perform a factory reset and try again?

csewell
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:04 pm

I've done that several times with no luck. However, in an unwise attempt to root the phone in order to get at the APN entries, I accidentally bricked it good. Messed up the bootloader and it wouldn't even power on to recovery mode and just kept restarting. So I tracked down the ROM for the previous update, flashed it,  and brought it back to life.  You really should post the ROM here.  To make a long story short, a bunch of new APN's showed up from my provider with the correct settings for 4G, and I can now send and receive MMS messages through the 4G APN. I still can't edit or add any APNs as they are grayed out, but the correct ones are there so I'm happy. There's even a new 'Enhanced 4G LTE Mode' switch under the Mobile network settings.

And the 20181026 update also downloaded and installed, so I'm quite satisfied now.

blackview_admin

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Great! ;)

csewell
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon. It's actually worse now. I can receive MMS messages only in 3G mode as before, or at least if i select "3G preferred" since the 3G APN I used before is gone. So no change there. But now I can't send MMS messages at all, not if I select 3G or 4G preferred. I don't understand why I can't edit or add APNs. If it was my cell provider that locked them, why can I edit them if I put the SIM in a different phone? What's different about the Blackview? Where are the APNs stored. Where do they come from? The SIM card? Pushed down by the wireless carrier?

I'd attempt root again but I'm tired of having to set all my apps up over and over because saving and restoring them never sets things up exactly the way they were before.

blackview_admin

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 pm

I need other users to confirm such issue, so that I can know if it is sporadic or not.

csewell
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm

I got it to send an MMS message in 3G mode finally. Don't know exactly what I did. From what research I've done, it seems the APNs are loaded from an internal android database of all providers, with the provision to have the carrier push custom settings. The LTE APN I have selected is missing the MMSC and MMS settings. There is a correct LTE internet APN but there is no radio button beside it to select it, and the messaging program doesn't seem to use it by default when it needs too. It's all quite frustrating. I'll contact my cell provider again, but the last time they just gave me the info to put in the APN. I would if I could.

I'd just like to know if anyone else can add/edit their APNs and if not, does the problem lie with the carrier or android?

csewell
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Oh oh. I hate to say it but this might be the fault of the messaging app I'm using. The Google Messages app doesn't work, the preinstalled? Messaging app does. Sorry about all this. Still can't edit APNs but now i dont have to.

csewell
Topic Author

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:56 am

I'm happy to say after quite a bit of testing, SMS and MMS are working great on LTE, even without edit/adding an APN, which can't be done anyway. This is the only issue I had with the BV9500 (other than the camera can't save to the SD card, which is not a big deal), and I am quite satisfied with the phone, especially speed and battery life. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

blackview_admin

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 am

Great ;)