Blackview User Forum

Luke
Topic Author

Blackview vs. Baltic Sea – not that rugged

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I happened to submerge my BV8000 in the sea water for a bit of time. After this I rinsed it in a clean water, dried it out and everything worked fine.
Later I discovered that I cannot charge the phone. So I guess it will soon discharge and will never turn on again.
It turns out the phone isn't that rugged at all. :/

Do you have any suggestions, how could this be fixed? I bought mine on Gearbest so I expect I'd have to ship it back to China to get it fixed?
Do you have any support in Poland? Will manufacturer's guarantee cover this?
I'm a software developer, see my projects if you're interested.

blackview_admin

Re: Blackview vs. Baltic Sea – not that rugged

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi there.
Charging your device while the usb port is still wet may damage the charging board, and this is what I think it happened.
As stated many times, no warranty will cover user damages (yes it is, in the end).
I suggest to open it and replace the charging board. You can find it here:
https://m.it.aliexpress.com/wholesale/B ... ging-board

If you can't replace it, I suggest to take your phone and new charging board to the nearest 3rd party phone repair shop to get the work done.

I also suggest to check for a correct seal made by screws' o-ring:
viewtopic.php?f=191&t=348815

Luke
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm not sure however if this was the cause, because I don't think the USB port was wet when I tried to charge it.
It was some time after I dried it, so it would have to be a very small amount of water.
Also – would it be possible to damage it without some kind of bad smell? I didn't smell anything.
I played a bit with simple electronics and when something burned (like LED), it smelled (please don't laugh if I wrote something wrong).

About the topic you linked – is it possible some seal was missing in my device?

blackview_admin

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 pm

A tiny amount of water between the usb port and the head of the usb cable can fry everything, also without smell.

I don't think seals were missing, otherwise your phone would have got worse issues (i.e. boot loops, LCD issues and so on).

Luke
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:38 pm

I ordered the replacement part you recommended. Do you think I would be able to replace it by myself or should I rather have it done in the phone repair shop (how difficult can it be)?

Does Blackview sell any plugs to seal the charging port while putting the device into water? I guess it would be a great addition.

blackview_admin

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Luke wrote:
I ordered the replacement part you recommended. Do you think I would be able to replace it by myself or should I rather have it done in the phone repair shop (how difficult can it be)?

Does Blackview sell any plugs to seal the charging port while putting the device into water? I guess it would be a great addition.

Replacing such board isn't difficult, but I cannot know how handy you are. If you are not sure, please let the repair shop do the job.

The charging and audio ports are already sealed. Water will wet them, but can't pass further inside. ;)

Luke
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:49 pm

I haven't received the charging board yet, but I'd like to share with you something I learned from a friend of mine who has a Samsung Galaxy A5 which is also waterproof. He told me that when he once plugged the charger when the phone was wet, guess what, the phone didn't break. It just displayed an information that the USB port is wet and he can't charge the phone currently.

It seems it could have been done more user-friendly (or foolproof).

blackview_admin

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Luke wrote:
I haven't received the charging board yet, but I'd like to share with you something I learned from a friend of mine who has a Samsung Galaxy A5 which is also waterproof. He told me that when he once plugged the charger when the phone was wet, guess what, the phone didn't break. It just displayed an information that the USB port is wet and he can't charge the phone currently.

It seems it could have been done more user-friendly (or foolproof).

If you check the phone bundle you should find a little manual saying to not charge the phone when the usb-c port is wet ;)

Luke
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:54 pm

It definitely wasn't visibly wet, that's for sure.

I just wanted to point out that a rugged phone can be done better and gave an example of a phone which isn't even that much advertised as rugged.

Luke
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:35 pm

Hey, I'm coming back after some time with good news! :)
I've finally had some time to replace the suggested part and now the phone appears to work correctly.
Thanks for the support.