I compared the photos on the P2 with some on my previous Samsung S5 & Lumia 830. Even by using different camera apps, the P2 was way below even the standard of the Lumia (which had the best colour reproduction). You can see my review here with examples of all the pictures:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-re ... B06X93K74K
I don't disagree that it's probably a driver issue. But is is a real problem for a lot of people who are buying the phone & then returning it because of the poor camera. & I don't think XDA will come up with anything, since it's reasonably close to Stock anyway & I can't see the volume of sales for P2 that would get them enthused to do so.
Answering your review:
1)The gold theme disappears completely with Nova Lauancher
2) This phone as all chinese phones suffers from bad software. So most of the problems you are talking about are really because of the software.
3) The sound issue -thats a software issue. The original MM on the phone is bad. The updated MM is much better. The Nougart version is the worst.
4) Same with buetooth
5) same with the camera. The updated MM is better. Nougart is bad. In fact I went back to MM. Nougart was unusable.
And whay are you expecting samsung apps to work on a non samsung phone ? Samsung tries not to make its app not work on any otyher phone.
Every app that you tried on the camera phone will not produce very good results because the drivers are not well written. You should know this since you are the tech , or so you say ...
xda developers will make better custom ROMs and you will be able to utilize the full strength of the camera app.
While phones like samsung come with a nearly perfectly working ROM , the chinese phones come with a nearly NOT working ROM. You have to wait for xda developers to do their work. I nearly threw away my jiayu s3 when I first bought it with the stock ROM . It was useless. but now with the custom ROMs from xda its excellent.
6) You are the tech and you don't consider the screen technology when it comes to picture display ? P2 uses IPS LCD and Samsung uses Super Amoled . Amoled has more vivid colors and the only way to really compare pictures taken from and IPS and and AMOLED screen are on a PC / Mac. Amoled will give a false higher quality that is not reciprocated on the computer.
The screen resolution is also very important.
So the comparison you are doing does not hold water
7) The pictures you posted here - they are equally bad . I can't even tell the P2 from the samsung pics ..
"& I don't think XDA will come up with anything, since it's reasonably close to Stock anyway "
Then you don't know xda !!!
Those guys make wonders !!!
I have never been satisfied with these low end chinese phone ROMs - e.g P2 , jiayu s3 etc . As I said above i neary returned my jiayu s3 for poor sound quality and for low sound volume when making phone calls ...
But when xda stepped in with their custom ROMS those problems disappered and the phone is excellent.
For a tech guy , you don't seam to have much contact/knowledge about custom ROMS , or coding for those custom ROMs. You are complaining about samsung apps on non samsung phones - thats a layman's complaint.
And your reasoning above why xda will not come up with anything is really lame .
"& I can't see the volume of sales for P2 that would get them enthused to do so."
I see the exact opposite...
The 6000mah battery is an attractive reason and the camera specs.
It has one an image sensor on the bigger side compared to other phones. It uses the newer ISOcell with back lighting technology and it has digital image stabilization , HDR , etc
Thats a great camera phone if you have the right drivers...